Work with the USF Bookstore
There are several ways to work with the USF Bookstore!
Trying to decide which book to order? The Bookstore will compare prices of different available options–rental, digital, used, buyback, bundled, a-la-carte, custom, etc.
- Notify the USF Bookstore if older editions are acceptable.
- Notify the USF Bookstore which components of “bundled” books are required.
- Request price options/breakdowns:
- What are the estimated prices?
- Can the book be rented?
- How much are the bundled or unbundled textbooks?
- Is there a digital version?
- Bookstore deadlines are as follows:
- Spring Semester – October 1
- Summer Semester – March 1
- Fall Semester – April 1
- Submit textbook requests by the bookstore’s deadline to assure a supply of used books for students. The bookstore will notify you well in advance of the deadline and send out reminders.
- Late book adoptions result in lower buy-back prices and fewer used options for students, as the bookstore will not retain used books that will not be used the following semester.
When Considering Textbooks:
- Avoid bundled packages that come with texts (publishers are required to unbundle upon request)
- Permit students to use an older edition of the textbook and identify which parts are different from the newer edition. Publishers are required to provide general descriptions of changes that have been made in new editions.
- Before choosing the newest edition of a textbook, check that the changes from the previous edition are substantial. Whenever possible, permit multiple editions to be used for a course.
- Use the same textbook and edition for two years or more to ensure a supply of used books in the marketplace
The USF bookstore has an agreement with Flat World Knowledge to sell their textbooks in the store at the same price as the e-publisher’s online site. Not many faculty members have adopted a Flat World Knowledge textbook at this point, but they are available to students for use at no charge.
Professors, visit Flat World’s website for more information about adopting an existing textbook or publishing your own textbook that can be customized and updated as needed.
- Download e-textbooks for 6 months
- Started by textbook publishers to sell lower-priced e-textbooks
- Free apps available for iPad, iPhone and iPodTouch
- Pages look identical to print version with identical pagination and Table of Contents for easy navigation
- Text may be copied and pasted or highlighted
- Pages may be printed
- Available at USF Bookstore – every textbook used on campus is available in hard copy AND through CourseSmart.