Buy at the Best Price
Check out the prices at the USF bookstore and compare to online booksellers. Keep in mind that the USF Bookstore supports the university in several ways–it provides revenue for the university and jobs for students. It has a wide selection of textbooks and non-textbook items, it is conveniently located on campus, and it gives students add/drop protection.
Rent a textbook, or buy or rent E-Books
- A digital, downloadable version of a printed textbook
- Readable on Mac or PC
- All you have to do is download an e-reader application
- Each text is downloadable onto two computers
- Limited printing of pages permitted
- E-Books can be rented or purchased
- They look exactly like the print version, but a keyword search finds information fast!
Other USF Affiliated Options:
- Free online textbooks
- Print out black and white textbook for $29
- Print out color textbook for $59
- Open Source (Creative Commons license)
- A textbook wiki that you can edit
- Professors can build their own textbooks by cutting and pasting existing content and adding their own to personalize for their students
- Printed books are available at the same price as online when purchased through the USF Bookstore
Buying Textbooks Online: Comparison Shop
If you choose to buy your textbooks online, look around for the best deals and compare prices among online retailers for your new, used, electronic, or rental textbooks. You can browse through our list of the most popular online sources to help you get started:
- Abe Books – Boasts lowest prices; they also sell international editions for a fraction of the US price, with a warning about copyright infringement. For example, the international edition of a biology textbook with a US price of $178 is $45.
- Afford-A-Book – Searches among its member vendors to find you the lowest price for textbooks.
- Amazon - The largest online store on planet Earth. Buy direct from Amazon or search for the lowest price. It’s easy to return books if you drop a course and they have a great buy-back program, even if you wrote in the book.
- Barnes and Noble - Buy or rent new or used books. When it’s time to return a rental, they provide free postage. Download books to your nook, and they have a buy-back program as well.
- Big Words – Buy, rent, sell textbooks, or download them to your ipad. At the end of the semester, you have the choice of selling your textbooks or donating them to needy students in the US, Africa or Asia through Better World Books. Postage is free.
- Chegg - Buy, sell and download textbooks to your pc. Every time you rent a textbook, Chegg.com plants a tree, and recently celebrated its 5 millionth tree.
- Half - Buy, sell and rent textbooks. This company is owned by eBay.
- My College Textbooks - This is a comparison shopping website that will connect you with low prices.
- Slug Books – Compare prices between the SlugBooks textbook exchange, the USF bookstore, and online retailers/renters. Powered by course-search technology.
- Textbooks – Buy, sell, rent, and download textbooks. An interesting feature is Xplana, a free social learning network that allows you to share study guides and notes with other students.
- Textbooks-R-Us – Buy new and used textbooks, or rent. International editions are also available at much lower prices, guaranteed to be identical to the US editions.
- The Cheap Textbook – A site designed to make textbook shopping easy with an online textbook price-comparison tool. The comparison tool pulls information from a large number of online retailers in order for students to find the best prices online!