Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. What is Courseload?
- 2. What are the minimum system requirements?
- 3. Is the content accessible for students with disabilities?
- 4. When is Courseload available?
- 5. How do I get started?
- 6. Can I navigate materials using my keyboard?
- 7. How do I navigate to specific chapters?
- 8. How do I go to a specific page?
- 9. Is there a full screen view option available?
- 10. Can I move the left side panel?
- 11. How do I search within the digital course material?
- 12. Can I bookmark important pages?
- 13. How do I delete bookmarks?
- 14. Will Courseload remember where I stopped within my course materials?
- 15. How do I add a highlight?
- 16. How do I add a note?
- 17. How do I delete a highlight or note?
- 18. Can I ask my instructor a question?
- 19. Can I share my highlights or notes?
- 20. Can I copy and paste content from Courseload?
- 21. Can I print pages from Courseload?
- 22. What if I want a print copy of the textbook?
- 23. Can I view my textbook offline?
- 24. What happens if I need more help?
1. What is Courseload?
Courseload is a digital materials distribution and learning collaboration tool that provides textbooks and other resources in digital form. Courseload allows students to highlight, annotate, bookmark, and search, and also to consolidate and share study notes.
2. What are the minimum system requirements?
You can use any computer with an Internet connection and Internet Explorer 9 or later, Firefox 4 or later, Safari 4 or later, or Google Chrome 11 or later. (Courseload may work with other browsers, but they have not been thoroughly tested.) Also, be sure to enable cookies and allow pop-ups.
Note: Internet Explorer 7 and 8 users can access Courseload by installing a plugin located here: http://www.google.com/chromeframe/eula.html?user=true
Students in need of academic accommodations for a disability should notify their instructor. Arrangements for appropriate accommodations will be made.
4. When is Courseload available?
Courseload is available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with the possible exception of 5am-6am EST daily for maintenance. Courseload will notify the Support Center if maintenance beyond that time is necessary.
5. How do I get started?
Courseload works in your everyday Internet browser. Once logged in, you will see a listing of your own relevant course information, including course name, section number and professor. Simply click on the course you with to access to see a click-able list of books and materials.
6. Can I navigate materials using my keyboard?
Yes. If you prefer the keyboard, you can use the arrow keys to move through your course materials. The [Left]/[Right] arrow keys change the page, while the [Up]/[Down] keys move within a page.
7. How do I navigate to specific chapters?
Open the table of contents by clicking the “Chapters” tab in the left panel of the Courseload screen. Then, select the chapter that you wish to read and you will be instantly transported to the first page of the chapter.
8. How do I go to a specific page?
To navigate to a specific page, use the “scrubber” along the bottom of the page. Simply begin to drag the “scrubber” and pages will pop-up over the textbook. You can either scroll until you see the page you wish to view (the numbers are displayed above each page) or you may enter a number in the “Go to Page” box on the right side of the screen.
9. Is there a full screen view option available?
Yes. Courseload offers the ability to expand the viewing area for the digital materials to the whole browser window in order to maximize reading space.
14. Will Courseload remember where I stopped within my course materials?
Yes. Whenever you open Courseload, it will go to the last page on which you stopped. It will also remember the last page no matter which device you had previously used.
18. Can I share my highlights or notes?
Yes. To allow others within your class to view your annotations, click the “Sharing” button located on the left panel. You can allow all students, no students, or you can tick a checkbox next to the name of specific students in your class. However, you can not choose specific annotations to share. If you choose to share, then you will be sharing all of your annotations.
19. Can I ask my instructor a question?
Yes. When you create a highlight or note, you can ask your instructor a question by ticking the checkbox next to “Post as a question.” This will alert the instructor that a student has a question about a specific highlight or note and the instructor can respond. When the instructor responds, the student will see a small notation.
20. Can I copy and paste content from Courseload?
Yes. You can copy content from the eTextbook and paste it into a text file, such as Microsoft Word. However, Courseload will only allow you to copy text.
21. Can I print pages from Courseload?
Yes. Use the “Print” icon at the left panel of the Courseload page. The page numbers you enter in the print dialog screen will match the actual textbook pages you want to print. You can print up to 50 pages at one time. You can print more than 50 pages overall, but you must initiate a new print request by clicking on the “Print” icon for each set of 50 pages.
22. What if I want a print copy of the textbook?
From within Courseload, on the resource menu on the left, click on “Prefer a printed copy for an additional cost?” A new tab will open where you will be able to purchase a black and white, loose-leaf, three-hole punched copy of your textbook. The price of this version will be about $30 or less, including shipping. Your copy should arrive within 7 – 10 calendar days.
23.Can I view my textbook offline?
Not at this time. Previously only available through the full version of Google Chrome, this feature is currently disabled due to incompatibility with the recent Chrome version 28.
24. What happens if I need more help?
Once in the Courseload reader, there is a Help link located in the upper right-hand corner (blue, next to your name) which will open a Courseload Helpscreen in a new tab. Here you will find documentation explaining the Courseload reader’s features including tutorial videos. You can also access this information from outside the Courseload platform at: http://courseload.mindtouch.us/?institution=usf